Lemongrass Coconut Ice Cream (Vegan!)

You might want to sit down. Or maybe even lay down. Yes, this gelato should be eaten laying down to avoid injury when you literally pass out because it is so damn delicious.

And yet…wpid-img_20150930_222339.jpg…so simple!

It is so simple in taste and in process that I’m not going to subject you to a prolix post. Here are the only facts you need to know:

1. Lemongrass is one of the most enchanting ingredients, with an aroma and flavor so synchronously citrusy and herbal that it keeps you wondering — and you don’t even know what you’re wondering at. It’s a member of the sugarcane family, common in Asian (especially Thai) cooking, and is perfect for infusing into liquids like….wpid-img_20150929_134959524_hdr.jpg
  2. …Coconut Milk, a.k.a. vegan panacea for former ice cream addicts. Don’t you dare buy the Lite stuff. The fat in the Good Stuff is not only healthy for you, but it also gives this concoction such a velvety, rich, creamy mouth-feel that vegan bullies might dangle you over a ledge and demand that you admit you put cream or eggs in your ice cream. wpid-img_20150930_222812.jpg
  3. Do yourself a favor and get an ice cream maker. Like I said in the prickly pear sorbet post, I have had wonderful results from this one.

wpid-img_20150929_180616076_hdr.jpg

Short and sweet, as promised. I don’t want to waste your time that you could be spending making this recipe.

Lemongrass Coconut Ice Cream (Vegan!)

• Servings: 6
  • Time: 30 mins plus chilling time
  • Difficulty: easy

wpid-img_20150929_180545165_hdr.jpg

• 2 stalks lemongrass, sliced thinly
  • 2 cans coconut milk (regular, not lite)
  • 3/4 cup granulated sugar
  • 2-3 slices of fresh ginger

To prepare the lemongrass, remove the outermost layer of the stalk and then trim the ends and the base off the stalk so you are left with about 5″ of the thickest part. Give the stalk a couple of whacks with a heavy object to loosen the layers a bit and then slice them thinly.

Combine all the ingredients in a small saucepan and stir gently over medium heat until it just begins to simmer. Remove from the heat and let stand for 15 minutes to let the lemongrass infuse. Pour into a container and chill in the fridge for 4-8 hours.

When ready to make your ice cream, strain the mixture and throw out the contents of the strainer. Turn on your ice cream maker and pour in the strained coconut milk. Allow the ice cream maker to do its magic until you have a perfectly creamy ice cream. Serve right away or, if you like your ice cream to be more set, you can put it in a container in the freezer for an hour or two.

44 thoughts on “Lemongrass Coconut Ice Cream (Vegan!)

• Laura McLively says:

Thanks Sophie! It’s awesome you grow a lot of these! Have you grown lemon grass in your allotment?

1. marymtf says:

I love every single ingredient on this list, Laura, I have to try it. I’m having a ball with my ice cream maker. Wanted to buy one for years, now I’m scouring the internet for interesting recipes. My last one was a quick apple ice cream. (quick and easy is what gets my attention. 🙂 )

2. Beth Ferree says:

This sounds yummy and we will make some on Thursday for the GF, non dairy guests. I am growing lemongrass (super easy to grow perennial) so love a new use for it other than adding to soups. But an important question…we can’t use sugar either so have to use stevia. Have you any idea how much stevia might be equivalent or appropriate?

• Laura McLively says:

Hi Beth, that sounds like a fun non-traditional Thanksgiving dessert! As for Stevia, there conversion depends on what type you are using. I’d just add a little at a time until you get the sweetness you like (with ice cream it doesn’t have to be a science like in baking), but if you’re using something like Sweet Leaf, you can also check out a conversion chart here: http://sweetleaf.com/stevia-recipes/stevia-conversion-chart/

• Laura McLively says:

Hmmm… You could try freezing the mixture in ice cube trays and then blending them really well in a blender or food processor, but you might miss out on the real velvety mouthfeel you get from an ice cream maker. Maybe you could drop some hints to your friends and family for your next birthday gift 😉

3. woodboneandstone says:

One more thing about growing lemongrass, Once it is established it can be cut back to just above the soil and the usable parts used. No need to pull up the entire plant. As long as it is well taken care of there will be a never ending supply of lemongrass.

4. lynne hoareau says:

I can just imagine how divine those flavours are together…. I am 100% with you on the lite coconut milk, my word I bought a ‘lite’ by mistake one day…haha never again !!!!

Please share your thoughts!